Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rethinking Biotech

I was looking at some old posts on Fierce Biotech, when I came across one that discusses all of the recent M&A activity in the industry. It points to a BusinessWeek article that I found especially interesting. Based on the article, it sounds as though investing in Biotech is mostly a pretty bad idea.

Biotech startups have no product. It takes years of VC financing before a startup can get a drug to clinical trials. Investors typically like to see at least phase II, and often even phase III clinical trial data before investing. But that's fairly late stage for a Biotech startup. So, without a product, investors (or, speculators) invest based on the probability of a product. That's based on management, on the underlying science, but mostly it seems to be based on any new developments. Cubicin is approved! The stock shoots up 20%. Indiplon is rejected at the highest treatment level! The stock plummets 40%.

The thing is, in my read of the BusinessWeek article, only suckers go through the IPO process. Big biotech and pharma are buying startups. They're interested in startups at a much earlier stage than the IPO stage; they need to make clear to investors that they have a pipeline, and one very effective way to do this is by buying companies that seem poised for success. Companies are well-remunerated for submitting to these giants - the average buyout carries an 86% premium relative to the average IPO (again, according to this same article). So if a company can be bought out, it's to both party's advantage to do so. So if the best biotech companies are being bought out, then what are the companies that are going public? They're the mid-range companies - the ones that are good enough to have products in development, but not sufficiently top-ranked to be bought out.

There are possibly exceptions. I sincerely believe that ALNY and MEDX are two, based on the science. (They're also exceptions because they were already public when this M&A-favored environment unfolded.) Sirna was bought by Merck for the sake of accessing the technology; I don't doubt that ALNY had some sort of similar opportunity. Same for MEDX - Cambridge Antibody Technologies was bought at a huge premium by Astrazeneca last year. MEDX and PDLI are in the same space that CAT used to occupy. So it seems that the management of ALNY and MEDX made decisions based on what they believe to be the future value of each respective company.

But, I've been reconsidering my investment in CBST for a little while now. Cubicin is supposed to be increasing in market share - so where are the dramatically increased profits? Why is VPHM still doing well? (At least, before the recent market turmoil - it was my biggest % gainer not too long ago.) In principle, CBST should be a good investment in the sense that they should be gaining market share with a superior product. Revenues are increasing dramatically, and earnings are growing with 06Q4 as their first official quarter in the black. (Here's a MF article about their year-end report.)

I'm trying not to be a schizophrenic trader, like I was in my earlier days with NBIX and MEDX. So, I think I'll hold on to CBST for now - at least through the Q2 results. But I'm also going to be a lot more discerning about my biotech investments. Also in the near future, I'll reconsider my investments in NOVC and ARNA as well.

No comments: