Monday, March 26, 2007

Updated Returns

I realized it had been a while since the last time that I posted a listing of my actual portfolios with their returns. My overall IRR is 29.8%. By comparison, over the same period, the IRR for the Dow is 16.4%; that of the S&P is 18.2%; the Wilshire 5000 had an IRR of 18.7%; and the Russel 2000 returned 17.2%. So things are going well.

My Motley Fool portfolio is phenomenal. The current IRR is 63.7%. I've been neglecting to mention how this portfolio is doing lately, but there have been a few companies whose stock prices have really moved lately. IIVI has been climbing pretty steadily since I bought it way back in my first round of purchases last July. SDA was a real sleeper until recently, and MIDD and GIGM have been on fire. OYOG is a yoyo no more! EDU had an early drop after I bought it, but has since been bouncing around the low-$40's. Obviously, I'm really happy with the service in terms of straight-up picking of stocks. I also think that I'm learning something. With a little more work and effort, I think that I'll be able to learn a lot.

The Magic Formula Investing portfolio is also doing nicely, with an IRR of 39.7%. DECK has always been doing well, while WNR is a recent addition to my top-movers. VPHM was once my first double, but now has pulled back to the number three slot. FCX was well under the price I paid for it for a while, but has now clawed its way back to positive territory. UEPS seems to keep fighting with that $30 upper limit. It keeps making it there, and then falling back to just a little more than I bought it for.

I notice that the mid-range stocks of the MFI portfolio have had a lower return than the mid-range stocks of the MF portfolio, but the big winners have won bigger - in other words, there's a longer tail for my more moderately-performing MF portfolio (figure). Some of this effect is due to the fact that some purchases are more recent than others; however, this is not all of the effect, because both portfolios include stocks that are recent purchases as well as stocks that are older. In Marshall's study of monthly MFI portfolios, he found that they beat the Russell 3ooo most months. I wonder what the distributions of returns were within each portfolio? Is it the case that each portfolio has a small number of big winners with the majority of stocks giving moderate returns? This may be worth further study...

And finally, here's the biotech portfolio that I've been reconsidering so much lately. There is a bunch to say, though. The IRR is now -2.4%. Since my last post, Cubist found a distributor for Cubicin in Japan, the Merck subsidiary Banyu. They sold the rights for $6M. This seems somewhat low to me. Not that I've got some great insight into what that should have sold for... but it just seems low. And not just to me. A January article over at the Motley Fool predicted that they'd find a distributor, and that it would get them $10-$20M upfront. A big difference! A little good news, MEDX started another phase I trial with MedImmune. This had absolutely no effect on the share price, though. On the other hand, ARNA started a phase II trial, and the stock price dropped ~5%. ARNA and NOVC are also up for reconsideration. But I also want to consider this carefully. The idea with the biotech portfolio was that my understanding of the science would allow me to judge the science, not just base decisions on announcements like these. So, this is something that I'm still working on. Because it's also been an important lesson that the science is just a small part of the whole package with biotech companies.

1 comment:

Marsh_Gerda said...

Jamie, Thanks for the update. Sounds like you'll be retiring soon! Your mentioning SDA made me take a look. I bought them back in early 2006 and did quite well selling around $32. I see they're now at $39!

I will be closing out my 3rd monthly tracking portfolio tomorrow. I'll make a point of posting the distribution of returns from the 3 closed portfolios. I am not sure what is "normal", but I suspect the SD will be relatively large. That is a primary reason I have been slowly increasing the size of my portfolio, to smooth out the portfolio variance.

MG